Data Loss Prevention
Data Loss Prevention (DLP), is a technology that protects data from hackers, viruses, and other threats. File transfer protocol.
DLP is a more effective strategy for companies, as it can be used on a wider scale. DLP is a security strategy that helps companies detect, prevent and respond to cyber-attacks. DLP can also be used to remove unwanted data that could compromise the security of the system.
Data leakage prevention solutions are often used to prioritize and classify data security. These are the common features of DLP:
Monitoring: Provides greater visibility into who and where is accessing the system’s data.
Filtering: Data is filtered to limit suspicious or unidentified activity.
Reporting: Recording and maintaining reports is possible.
Analyse: Identifying weaknesses and suspicious behavior and providing context to security teams.
These aspects can be used to prevent data loss and manage it efficiently.
How does DLP work
DLP consists of two main technical approaches to working on the network.
Contextual analysis: The DLP technique is used to format metadata and properties of the document, such as headers, sizes, references, etc.
Content awareness: This is the process that determines whether sensitive information is in a document. The whole document is read and analysed.
Modern DLP solutions combine both to provide better cyber security outcomes. This is used to examine the data context and if it is not sufficient or does not meet the needs, then content awareness can be used to explore the data. Multiple techniques can be used to trigger content analysis.
* Ruler-based/Regular expression: This is the most common technique for data loss prevention. It involves the analysis and interpretation of documents. The rules and regular expressions that will be used to analyze the content. If you are looking for credit card numbers or social security numbers, this is an example. This technique acts as a filter, and configures and processes results. It can be combined with other techniques to achieve the desired result.
* Database Fingerprinting: Also known by exact data matching. This creates a fingerprint of the data and searches for exact matches in the database dump or with any current running database.
* Exact file matching. It creates a hash from the entire file/document, and searches for the file that matches the fingerprint or hash. This technique is extremely accurate, but cannot be used on files with multiple versions.
* Partial document matching: Searches for a partial or complete match on files with multiple versions of forms filled out by different users.
* Conceptual/Lexicon – Combining lexical rules, taxonomies, and dictionaries, the DLP solution can identify concepts containing sensitive information in unstructured data.
* Statistical Analysis: Machine learning algorithms can be used to analyze data. The algorithm will address sensitive data or data that violates policies.
* Pre-built categories: Includes rules and dictionaries for sensitive information, such as HIPAA protection or PCI protection. These pre-built devices will not be used.
Data loss prevention can be divided into three types. Each type delivers the same results using different methods.
Types of DLP
Network DLP: Data Loss Prevention in-Network helps to create a secure perimeter around data that is moving. Network DLP is a network that monitors all incoming and outgoing data. It determines whether data should be protected, monitored, blocked, or both.
Benefit: DLP can apply to any device connected to the network.
Endpoint DLP monitors all endpoints, i.e. Servers, computers, laptops and mobile phones as well as any other device where data is used, saved, moved or stored. USB connectors can be used to connect phones and computers, while pen drives can be used to copy or transfer data.
Benefit: DLP software protects data no matter what network it is, whether it’s a company network or a public one.
Cloud DLP: This DLP network service provides greater visibility and protection for sensitive information that will be imposed upon SaaS and IaaS clouds services. Cloud data loss prevention network service also includes social security. Data such as emails, financial details, and contacts will be encrypted, with admin access.
Benefit: No need for hardware or software. This data loss protection server is more powerful than other DLP solutions.
Learn more about cyber-attack prevention protocols.
Data Loading: The Advantages